ARTICLE I: Purpose
The Friends of the Centreville Regional Library (Friends) is an association of persons interested in books, information resources, and libraries. It encourages members of the community to support all aspects of the library with their time and resources. It focuses public attention on library services, facilities, and needs, with special emphasis on developing and maintaining programs beneficial to the Fairfax County Public Library system in general and the Centreville Regional Library in particular.
It is recognized that the administration of the Centreville Regional Library is vested in the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors and the Board of Library Trustees.
ARTICLE II: Membership
The membership of this organization shall be open to all individuals and organizations that support its purposes. The Board of the Friends determines annual membership fees each year. Each Board member shall be entitled to one vote.
Junior memberships shall be available to all individuals age14-18. Full time students may also qualify for junior membership.
ARTICLE III: Board
The Board of the Friends is responsible for overall programming, services, materials, policies and disbursement of funds provided by the Friends.
Section A: Board Composition
- The Board is comprised of, but not limited to, the following voting positions: President, Vice-President, Treasurer, Secretary, Book Sales Coordinator and Member at Large. The Branch Manager of the Library serves as a non-voting ex-officio member of the Board.
- Additional Board positions may be added by a majority vote of the Board as deemed necessary.
Section B: Duties and Terms of Office
- The duties of each Board member consist of those usually associated with his/her respective position, as well as those described in each individual job description.
- The term of office for each position is two years. Each officer may serve two consecutive terms.
Section C: Vacancies
- Vacancies are to be filled by a 2/3 majority vote of the full Board.
Section D: Meetings
- Monthly meetings are to be held by the Board for six months beginning January 2006. The frequency of subsequent meetings to be determined at the sixth meeting. Changes in the schedule may be made by a simple majority vote of the Board.
- The President, or a simple majority of the Board, may call a special meeting of the Board with five days notice.
- An annual meeting is to be held for the election of new Board members, reading of annual reports and the transaction of other business.
- All meetings are open to the public.
Section E: Funds
- All funds are to be deposited in a bank account of the Friends of the Centreville Regional Library, and will be disbursed by the Treasurer or the President of the Board. All checks for $500 or more will require signatures of both the Treasurer and the President.
- The Treasurer shall, at each meeting of the Board, provide a detailed report on the organizations finances.
ARTICLE IV: Amendments
These by laws may be amended at any meeting of the Board of the Friends of the Centreville Library by a two-thirds majority vote of the full Board.
ARTICLE V: Dissolution
Upon the dissolution of the Friends of the Centreville Regional Library, the Board shall, after paying or making provision for the payment of all liabilities of the Friend to the Centreville Regional Library, transfer the funds or other assets then remaining in its possession to organizations with similar purposes which have qualified for exemption under Section 501(c) (3) of the Internal Revenue Code.
Adopted by the Board of Directors, January 14, 2006. Modified on February 11, 2006.
Modified on October 14, 2006. Modified on November 11, 2006. Modified on June 9, 2007.